What we achieved:
“This is the first time ever that we’ve had anything that resembles a measurable and repeatable funnel for customer acquisition – and I don’t have to do anything.”
~ Adii Pienaar, Founder & CEO of Conversio (now Campaign Monitor Commerce)
In just eight months, from January to August 2019, Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign) supported Conversio (now Campaign Monitor Commerce) to
- run an in-depth customer analysis,
- launch a solid marketing plan including content planning,
- optimize paid social campaigns,
- set up automations that facilitate continuous learning and research about customers,
- setting up a measurable, repeatable marketing funnel, and
- Optimizing and scaling automation for customer acquisition.
These measures resulted in the above-mentioned improvements, as well as more precisely for the following advancements in customer acquisition:
Improving their customer acquisition was especially important for Conversio, because the company was going through an acquisition process, at the end of which Conversio was successfully taken over by Campaign Monitor in summer 2019.
Before Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign) came on board, Conversio’s growth was flatlining, as there was no measurable and repeatable funnel in place to acquire new customers. Thanks to the measures suggested and their implementation being overseen by Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign), the value of the company grew tremendously.
“Thanks for all your help this year; it definitely set us on a better path going into the acquisition and the CM Group.”
~ Adii Pienaar
Working with Adii and his team was a pleasure, and we’re incredibly happy and proud to have been able to make such an impact on the company and its acquisition.
If you want to learn more about the acquisition, how things moved forward, and the roller coaster of emotions such an undertaking brings with it, then listen to Adii talk about it in detail here.
And if you, dear reader and eCommerce entrepreneur, would like Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign)’s support in garnering similar results for your business, please don’t hesitate to contact me here to discuss solutions for your business challenges.
If you’re curious about a more detailed, month-to-month and step-by-step account of how Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign) helped Conversio set up their new-and-improved customer acquisition process, we outline the steps we took to optimize the existing marketing funnel in the following.
To monitor all the tasks and analyze their effectiveness, we reported back to Adii on a weekly basis, including sharing an outlook for the next week and reporting monthly results. This is one of the most important steps we always take when working with a client. Without regular analyzation of predetermined goals, there is no optimization.
In January, we started with:
- Launching an in-depth customer survey
- Conducting customer interviews
- Carrying out competitor research
We compiled a report out of our findings, based on which we changed the messaging and positioning, using it as a starting point for paid social ads and to create a content calendar based on a wiki approach.
In February, we continued with:
- Optimizing the existing paid social accounts, for example by integrating the Facebook-pixel correctly and preparing the ads
- Setting up content and content upgrades
- Launching paid social campaigns
- Identifying remarketing opportunities
- Setting up measurements for conversion rate optimization
In March, this was followed by:
- Optimizing for paid social
- Delivering more content
- Taking advantage of the Shopify-Mailchimp-Breakup by launching a timely campaign
- Writing new case studies, and adding them to the website and paid social
“Thanks for all the hard work. I think the progress you’ve made is significant for three months of work and things are trending in the right direction.” ~ Adii Pienaar
April saw us implementing the following measures:
- Onsite personalization and setting up RightMessage and RightBar
- Revisiting customers’ watering holes (more customer research) with greater understanding
- Launching new A-/B‑tests for inline CTAs in blog articles
- Updating old blog articles with CTAs to content upgrades in order to drive more sigh-ups
- Updated old content and added it to the marketing funnel, accelerating customer sign-ups
In May, we kept going with:
- Creating a master sheet content idea list and content calendar
- Adding new features of the Conversio app to paid social campaigns
- Researching and setting up YouTube remarketing and Google ads to add another acquisition channel
- Working through Google Analytics and setting up proper reports, dashboard and conversion tracking
This lead to the following steps in June:
- Adding remarketing audiences in Google Analytics
- Launching YouTube ads
- Reworking the RightMessage setup, especially messaging to drive more downloads and trials
- Consulting on a new overview page for content upgrades
- Adding personalization to the website
- Adding new content upgrades
- Analyzing growth opportunities and planning growth initiatives
Continued by further steps taken in July:
- Creating more content upgrades to add to the site and paid social funnel
- Setting up workflows for delivery
- Adding new customer research questions to RightMessage to facilitate continuous learning
And finally, in August, we went the extra mile by:
- Structuring paid search campaigns
- Launching a brand campaign
- Launching Gmail ads
- Finding out how competition drives trials, and
- Creating a plan to test competitors’ approaches
“It’s been so great having your input and expertise since you are around here. A lot of the things you’re working on have been there forever and we haven’t really looked in detail at what’s working and what isn’t (or what’s harming!).”
~ Maria Irie, Designer at Conversio
Curious about how Schwungvoll (ehemals Xciting Webdesign) might help you through your business challenges? We’d love to help and hop on an initial interview free of charge. Just contact me here.